Friday, December 29, 2006

What a Year!




Happy New Year, everyone!! As Hogmanay (Scottish for New Years Eve) approaches, I find myself (like many others) looking back. I can't believe how much has changed in such a short period of time. And all of it, forces me grow in ways I never knew were possible. Honestly, sometimes I wish I had a simpler life where I didn't have to accommodate or adjust and learn tolerance so often.

However, it's always been said that nothing precious comes easily.

This year, I faced the potential of losing my uterus, the non-ability to have children just as I found someone who wanted to love me, marry me and have a family with me. I experienced a few near death situations and luckily for me, I had friends, truly soulful people, who were there when push came to shove.
Thankfully, surgery went well; I didn't lose one of the most basic attributes of my womanhood and my people were there to support and celebrate with fervor. Hopefully, I've been just as supportive and loving to them in their time of need. If not, then what are we here for?? What's the point of it all?

In May, I moved to Scotland and my American-centric ways are continuously challenged. (Actually, the hardest stuff for me was suffering through Scottish folk music, bagpipes, and their incessant love of bluegrass music!) It's so easy to get up on your high horse and sneer at others when they just don't fit your understanding of the world. I miss my friends, I miss my black community, and Americana pop culture.
But patience and silence, coupled with open ears and heart, appear to be my best tactics.
In the meantime, I've met some wonderful new people, slowly finding a new black community and making friends, who I hope to know for many years and grow to love as much as I do my people back home.

While trying to wrap my head around new love, new life, I still am writing my dissertation (arrghh!!!) that I must complete in the first half of 2007. But then, bam! I got pregnant!
Along with morning sickness and new cultural adjustments, I have come to understand that there are some people in the world who have so much anger and insecurity with themselves that they will lash out at you. Yet, I am still amazed and how cruel and vicious some can be.
Sadly, I've parted ways with some who I thought truly cared for me but in reality, lived for every moment to slice and hurt me.
Never underestimate the power of jealousy and what it will drive a person to say or do.


But thankfully, there are some amazing people that I'm privileged to have in my life. People who I would travel half-way around the world to see at their wedding.
Believe it or not, I attended a wedding of good friends who are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside. Some people really do live that sickeningly sweet Julia Roberts wedding movie! Even their friends are almost as beautiful as they are.

As of this month, I've gotten married (only a civil service so I can stay in the country), and I'm feeling my baby kicking and squirming around. Andy and I briefly did a jaunt to New Orleans for that wedding and then South Florida so that he could meet my family. And how they loooooved him. Sickening, really. I bet they'd keep him and not me if we divorced!
Haitians are soooo easy to impress: eat our food with gusto and we're yours! Granted, we do have some slammin' food. And Andy is easy to love. Andy quickly grew accustomed to hearing Haitian Creole randomly dispersed throughout our conversations. Much can get lost in translation and honestly, some things just mean more when said in their original language.



Ah South Florida! It was great to be back in the sun and warmth. There's no place in the US like it. It was wonderful to drive around and hear Haitian Creole, Jamaican Patois, and Spanish spoken on most radio stations! You can really feel like a true citizen of the world there. But in many ways, Miami isn't my home anymore...and hasn't been for years.


Still, it was mighty hard to leave the sand, sun, and warm waters for Scotland again. All this cold weather, dark, cloudy and foggy days can really take it out of you! Not to mention, the depressing Christmas orientated specials on tv (see my previous post for further explanation)!!

Most importantly, this year would not have been possible without the love and support of my man, all my friends, family, colleagues, and professors. It has been a terrifying and amazing life--one that was possible to survive and actually enjoy with their love. Nothing is certain in life except death. However, my people make the future less daunting. While still scared, I can actually look forward to it with a smile.
I am, because they are there for me.

8 Comments:

At Dec 29, 2006, 2:53:00 PM, Blogger Pille said...

Peggy - what a year indeed! Congrats on the wedding and the baby news, and good luck with finishing that thesis! Was fun bumping into you at the Fringe just before I moved back home to Estonia:)

 
At Dec 30, 2006, 9:26:00 AM, Blogger Aulelia said...

aww peggy! i am so happy for you! this post touched me, girl. especially the part about friends - there is no doubt that the some have 2 faces that can fool anyone. good 4 you that you got rid of them before it was 2 late!

you seem so happy and that is brilliant. keep smiling!

when i was in martinique, i met so many haitians and they were the NICEST people. literally. it made me want to visit the island myself. have u found any haitian people in the UK?

 
At Dec 30, 2006, 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Peggy Brunache said...

No, Aulelia, sadly I have not. However, I have been contacted by a woman near Glasgow who is adopting three Haitian sisters in the hopes to eventually get them all back here with her and her family. I'll keep you updated on that.
By the way, when do we get to see your pics from Martinique? I'm dying to see them!

 
At Dec 30, 2006, 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Peggy Brunache said...

Pille, thank you ever so much! I'm sorry we met just before your return to Estonia. Please let me know if you ever plan an extended visit back here! We must get together and do some cooking!

 
At Dec 30, 2006, 2:11:00 PM, Blogger Aulelia said...

i will get those pictures soon! i am just so useless with anything that is DIGITAl so that includes digital cameras lol :) it is the good old appareil jetable for me.

what is the black community in scotland like? i was going to go to edinburgh university initially but it was just too far from london. but edinburgh seemed really nice.

 
At Jan 3, 2007, 9:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Quite a year indeed!! I cannot imagine anyone taking on all those challenges and adjustments with as much grace as you. Even if feeling somewhat freaked out at times - you are blessed to know exactly where your heart is and what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it. Even when people try to shake up that view ... while bothersome perhaps, they can never prevail against someone with your spirit.

I miss you, dear friend, but I am so glad you are making Scotland your home.

love,
Sonja

 
At Jan 6, 2007, 5:57:00 AM, Blogger Courtney Desiree Morris said...

Peggy...girl, are you even trying to call anybody out for living the insane, Julia Roberts fantasy?
Colored Girl from the States meets sweet, freaky, intelligent Scot, hooks up, shacks up, dodges a health bullet, and ends up preggers, happy, and married in Europe...
Girl, don't even start that foolishness, cos' you know that I do not brook that kind of nonsense.
The post was quite beautiful and reflective. As always, I am moved and impressed by your ability to distill your fears, hopes, and reflections into thoughtful (often hilarious) mini-essays. Keep it up girl..2007 has a lot in store for us...and my homeboy who's on the way...
love,
c

 
At Jun 29, 2007, 8:43:00 AM, Blogger Mr. J said...

Hi Peggy, i would like to know if i can use the Miami's picture to put in a website.

Please, can you ask me anything?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home