Tuesday, July 04, 2006

American Ambivalence on the Fourth of July


It's the Fourth of July here in Scotland as it is in the US. And I'm telling you, the biggest event going on right now is if we can get the stupid Apple Airport device working so I can be on the net on my own computer instead of Andy's.

Ok, so I admit. I really wish I was back in the US right now to partake in our greatest national holiday. Not because I'm terribly patriotic, cause I'm not. I'm more than aware of how janus-face the US can be when it comes to capitalism and global power. Hell, being Haitian allows me to be pissy with the US for not sending us help during the Haitian Revolution (which we did more than fine without their punk-asses anyway!) after we helped the fledging colonies in their fight for independence from England. But you know that little thing call the Louisiana Purchase was on the line and the newly founded US didn't want to upset Mr. Napoleon. Basically, they said "sorry, Charlie but, I gots to get paid" and blew us off. And don't get me started on the early 20th century invasions and occupation by the US either!
However, I'm not simple enough to not remember that it was here my parents chose to find a better life for themselves and their family. Despite all the crap that has happened to us, I have a brother who's making a little change with the Post Office and I'm trying to finish writing my PhD. The life I'm living, the life my baby bro lives would not have been possible in Haiti...no matter how much we love our Cherie Ayiti.

I wish I was back in the States to have the big cookout today. Drinking beer, eating great bbq with my friends (cause my people can cook!) and having the world's stupidest debates while putting on bug spray and questioning whether sunblock actually necessary for someone as dark as me. I got serious fieldslave skin tone, y'all!
And of course, the big finale is always the fireworks at our local park. I'm in my late 30s and fireworks still hit me with awe and joy as it did when I was a child.
The Fourth for me has never been about patriotism and rememberance of our country's forefathers Declaration of Independence. I get more misty-eyed over a good "Little House on the Prairie" episode. But it is the closest I get to bonding with the rest of the country...at least the common joys and events that is tradition on this day.

Have a good burger for me! I'm thinking of you all.

9 Comments:

At Jul 4, 2006, 5:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll make sure that when we set off some fireworks tonight, we'll dedicate the biggest one to you. Still surprising that for all the fireworks shows we've seen together, the best ever was in Spain and not the US. Is there a Scottish occasion for a big fireworks event? I would be interested to hear if they can match the magic of Las Fallas. Happy Fourth!

Rob

 
At Jul 4, 2006, 9:35:00 PM, Blogger colored me said...

I'll be sure to put my lighter in the air for ya ...

 
At Jul 5, 2006, 5:28:00 AM, Blogger Jamie Brandon said...

Wow Peg...you sound like an ex-pat already...we're thinking of you while putting on bug spray :)

 
At Jul 6, 2006, 5:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Peggy

Greetings from BKLYN! I watched fireworks from Ft. Greene rooftop, augmented by some local bottle rockets and gunshots.

Pleeeease keep writing. You are a beacon of light in the internet.

I am about to start looking for airline tickets to visit but I can't find the airport code for Negroshire on expedia.com. Please advise.

My love to you and Andy,

Martín

 
At Jul 6, 2006, 6:15:00 PM, Blogger Peggy Brunache said...

Martin baby! It's usually cheaper to fly to Glasgow rather than Edinburgh but check out prices anyway. We'll pick you up from there and whisk you away to the shire!

 
At Jul 6, 2006, 6:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, i just discovered your blog while reading another blog - http://kiskeyacity.blogspot.com/ - i'm looking forward to reading your posts. my only question is: what are you going to do about finding some good haitian compa music or martiniquan zouk music. i hope you brought plenty of cd's.

 
At Jul 6, 2006, 6:40:00 PM, Blogger Peggy Brunache said...

Ugh! Sooner or later, I knew someone would ask about music. (heavy sigh), yes, I did bring all my compas and zouk with me...esp. my dad's old record collections of Coupe Cloue--gotta teach my man how to dance to Haitian music properly.
However, if anyone would love to keep me in the Francophone musical loop, I'm more than happy (and will extremely appriciative) to receive CDs or at least the names of who's hot and happening. I'm truly isolated here.

 
At Jul 6, 2006, 8:20:00 PM, Blogger bubba/herm said...

pegs i understand 100% i'm in vancouver and i spent the 4th in a lounge with my buddy drinking and listening to an r&b funk band. probably would have been the same thing back home except there would have been fireworks in the background,a bbq iwould have just left to hang out with more friends at a bar, and street full of people feeling just like me, satisfied. it could be worse though. you mighht not be around to understand what i'm talking bout.

 
At Jul 7, 2006, 7:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy,

No fireworks for us here in Austin this 4th-- there was a thunderstorm which nixed out plans to make the annual trek to zilker. We had a non-traditional grill instead and drank some tequila. Sure missing you. . .

Alisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home