Sunday, July 23, 2006

Dinner Party/Postscript


Saturday night, Andy and I had a 6-person dinner party.

The menu:

snacky bits- cibatta bread, herbed olive oil for dipping, Scottish cheddar, Manchego cheese, chorizo, fancy salami, roasted red peppers, seasoned tomatoes, parmesan, assorted olives in rosemary.
Dinner- roasted Marsala cod with roasted potatoes and brocolini
Dessert- strawberry creme tart with vanilla ice and raspberries


We love to entertain. It's not about showing off what we can make or how much $$ we can spend. It's about sharing the best of ourselves with our friends. I'm sure you've been there, right? A party where the hosts took much time and energy to make sure that you have a fun and sumptuous experience. There's always enough great alcohol, great food, and a bevy of laughter. Call me cheesy, but to give to others and share in their surprise and happiness is an amazing thing. What more can you ask for?
And at the end of the night, after all the laughs, food, wine, beer, and whisky, I'm exhausted.

I reflect back on all the hard work we did: the shopping, the cleaning, the cooking, the baking,setting up, beautifying the joint, receiving guests, making sure their glasses are never empty, their plates are always filled, and at minimum, there's always a smile on their lips.

But damn, I hate the mess that's left.
And then Andy said the most romantic thing yet:

"We'll do the dishes and clean up tomorrow."

Just fell in love with him again.
Honestly, I knew I was going to deal with all the mess in the morning. This is run of the mill for me. But having a partner in crime makes it all the more enjoyable. He's there for all the grunt work before the party as well as for the fun of the party. And he'll be there helping with the cleanup.


For the party and the shitty clean up, he's always there.

It's Sunday and I haven't much time. Tomorrow, two wonderful friends of mine are coming to spend a few days with us. These are really special people--friends who were there for me during my surgery (an extremely scary time for me) a few months ago. So you know I gotta show them a good time.


POSTSCRIPT SUNDAY 9:20 p.m.

While I was making a few phone calls to my people in the States, Andy washed ALL the dishes and scrubbed up the kitchen top to bottom.

Gotta love that man o' mine.

3 Comments:

At Jul 23, 2006, 3:14:00 PM, Blogger colored me said...

your blog is constantly making me hungry...

 
At Jul 23, 2006, 9:55:00 PM, Blogger Kiratiana said...

This dinner party looks scrumptious....

 
At Jul 24, 2006, 8:24:00 PM, Blogger Jamie Brandon said...

Full marks & 2 gold stars for Andy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home